Life's big changes

Taking leave

If you claim maternity, paternity, additional paternity, family or adoption leave pay, your contributions are based on what you are earning at that time.

However, the contributions paid to IWDC are based on your normal rate of pay. Your employer will continue to pay contributions based on your pensionable pay.

They will also pay the difference between your normal contributions and your actual contributions. Read more in our Guide to family leave.

Ill health

If you have to stop working through ill health, you may be able to use your Personal Retirement Account to ​receive an income before your Normal Minimum Pension Age.

The Trustee must receive medical evidence from a registered practitioner that you are, and will continue to be, unable to carry out your job.

If you suffer from a serious illness and your life expectancy is less than 12 months, you may be able to take all your benefits as a lump sum. Contact for more information.

Divorce or dissolution

Separating from a partner is always a challenging time, and your Personal Retirement Account is likely to be considered along with other assets when financial settlements are worked out.

Two types of settlements can be awarded through Court orders:

  •  Pension Sharing – your ex-spouse or civil partner can be awarded part of your transfer value through a pension sharing order.
  •  Pension Earmarking – your ex-spouse or civil partner can be awarded some of your benefits through an ‘earmarking’ order. These can only be paid when your benefits start.


Log in to myRPS to read Your Member's guide. You can also find more information in our FAQs.

Switching from full-time to part-time work

If you work part-time, ​your Scheme pension contributions are reduced according to the amount of hours you work. 

Email if you have any queries.