From payslip to pension
The TrusteeThe funds from your Railways Pension Scheme contributions are carefully managed by a group of employer and elected member representatives, known as “The Trustee”. The Trustee’s job – along with the help of our team of pensions and investment specialists - is to regularly check that the Scheme administration and financial investments are doing well and to keep you informed.
Our financial expertsThe Trustee works closely with our team of pensions and investment experts. Together, their responsibility is to pay your pension securely, affordably and sustainably. With their combined professional knowledge and financial market insight, this team makes careful and informed decisions on where to invest your money, so that your pension pot grows and you receive the benefits you were promised. These investment and financial specialists are known as the Scheme’s “investment manager” or RPMI Railpen.
The Trustee and Investment Manager invest members’ pension contributions into a range of assets including shares, bonds and property. Investing widely like this helps to limit risk and this diverse approach also gives your retirement savings the best possible chance of increasing in value over the years.
How your pension contributions are investedYour pension contributions are combined into “pooled” or collective investment funds. This means your money immediately benefits from economies of scale and the team can choose from a wider, more valuable range of investments.
Our investment team uses these funds to meet the specific needs of over 100 individual Sections within the Railways Pensions Scheme.
Some examples of our recent investments
- In 2017, we invested in Gigaclear, a company dedicated to building and operating ultrafast, pure fibre-to-the-premises broadband networks in rural Britain
- In 2020, we purchased the majority interest in an onshore wind farm in Scotland, Carraig Gheal Wind Farm. This investment is expected to generate renewable energy over the next 30 years and help the decarbonisation of the UK energy supply
- In 2021, we invested in MIPS, a company that makes a patented Brain Protection System for helmets that mimics the brain’s own protection system, offering a scientifically-proven element and much better protection than current products
- In 2020, we co-invested in Sleaford Renewable Energy Plant, a biomass facility in Lincolnshire. The plant has been operational since 2014 and converts local straw into heat and energy, as a renewable source of power
- In 2021, we invested in Lonza Group, a leading manufacturer of products and services to the biopharma and consumer health industries. Lonza offers direct exposure to the growth of tomorrow’s drugs
We have been paying members’ pensions securely, affordably and sustainably for over 50 years. To achieve this, we continue to invest the Scheme’s assets to generate strong investment returns over the long term.
You are in very good hands.