Life changes

You never know what’s around the corner – your circumstances can change at any time and we need you to tell us when they do.

By keeping your records up to date, you can help avoid any mistakes being made and ensure we can keep in touch about any matters that affect you.

You should tell us about: 

  • changes to your relationship status
  • the birth of any dependent children


You can update your details by logging into your myRPS account (or registering for one). Alternatively, call the Helpline on 0800 012 1117 or email Don't forget to quote your pension reference number - you can find when you log into myRPS.

Change your beneficiaries

If you die before you claim your RPS benefits, a lump sum could be paid to your beneficiaries.

Make sure you complete a Nomination by logging into your myRPS account to say who you'd like your beneficiaries to be.

Divorce or dissolution

The breakdown of a relationship is a difficult time so it’s useful to know where you stand.

It’s likely your pension will be taken into account along with your other assets when you work out a financial settlement for your divorce or dissolution.

If you are living with your partner but are not married or in a civil partnership, they are not entitled to any of your pension benefits if you separate.

Read more about divorce or dissolution and your pension.

If you are completing paper forms, please return them to Railpen, PO Box 300, Darlington, DL3 6YJ. You are advised to send any original certificates by recorded delivery. These will also be returned by recorded delivery.